Mutual Aid Toolkit Mutual Aid Toolkit
We offer this toolkit as a resource for people interested in contributing to Survived & Punished NY’s mutual aid commissary giving project.
This toolkit begins with an introduction to who we are as Survived & Punished and the values that guide our work. It then discusses mutual aid and fundraising, including specific recommendations, tips, and steps for doing grassroots fundraising.
We initially created this toolkit as a guide for people and communities who had reached out to us with an interest in fundraising for Survived & Punished NY’s commissary giving project specifically, but we also hope this guide can provide an abolitionist analysis to support the creation of transformative mutual aid projects across many types of communities and movements.
To reach out with questions, feedback or joy-sharing, email us at SPNYmutualaid@gmail.com
Mutual Aid Fundraising Resources Mutual Aid Fundraising Resources
Fundraising Email Template:
Sample Graphic for Social Media:
Guide to Sending Money to Comrades through JPay:
Additional Readings Additional Readings
Additional Reading on Mutual Aid:
- Big Door Brigade – What is Mutual Aid?
- Dean Spade – Mutual Aid Syllabus
- “Moments of Contingency” September 26, 2019 Episode of Delete Your Account podcast with Mariame Kaba & Dean Spade
- “BAR Abolition and Mutual Aid Spotlight: Ejeris Dixon” April 15, 2020
- Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha’s 2018 book: Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice
- Alondra Nelson’s 2011 book: Body and Soul
Additional Reading on JPay & Exploitation:
Additional Reading on Grassroots Fundraising:
- Introduction to The Revolution Will Not be Funded
- Thoughts for Foundations and Major Donors
- Grassroots Institute for Fundraising Training
- Grassroots Fundraising Guide for Students on Campus
- Vanguard Public Foundation: Grassroots Fundraising Guide for Social Justice Organization
- Resource Generation (for young people with access to wealth/class privilege)